According to iSuppli, a microchips analysis consultancy quoted by Business Week, here's how much Apple TV ($299 retail) costs to make.
- Intel Microprocessor- $40.
- Intel Chipset, mainly for device memory-$28.
- Nvidia GeForce Go 77300 graphics chip-$15.
- Fujitsu 40GB hard drive-$37.
- Fujitsu 160GB hard drive (optional alternative to the 40GB)- $73.
- Broadcom 802.11n components- $19.
- Cypress Semiconductor: two chips- $1.65 (total)
- Silicon Storage Technology microcontroller- $1.
- RealTek Semiconductor audio chip- 75 cents.
That comes to about $130, which is less than half of the $299...