The market study prior to the award was conducted from late December 1999 to March 2000. Close to 250 interviews and discussions were held with product and marketing managers in 10 countries, including Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Philipines, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, India, Australia and New Zealand.
The market was broken into different segments:
- Call centre hardware systems
- Call centre software
- Automatic call distributor systems
- Workforce management
- Outbound systems
- Sales force automation software
- Interactive voice response systems
- Customer interaction software
- Voice mail/Messaging systems
- Computer telephony interface (CTI) enabling call centre software
- Call monitoring software
Key drivers of the call centre market
- Growing emphasis on customer retention drives demand
- Continued deregulation in telecom industry
- Strong marketing strategies of leading competitors
- Growth of smaller call centres expands size of potential market
- Web-based call centre applications will stimulate growth
At present, the largest (48%) market share is focused in Australia, with the country reaping a combined revenue of $130.2 million in the industry.
Also, the largest call centre revenue-generating segment is lead by Customer Interaction, needing the highest degree of customization to reach out to consumers.
Major trends in the call centre market
- Australia and New Zealand lead the adoption of latest technologies and applications
- Australia is currently the biggest market in the Pan Asian region for outsourcing call centre services
- China is the biggest market for call centre hardware equipment
- India and Philipines are growing in importance as ideal locations for the setting up of international outsourcing call centres
- Software applications are expected to register dramatic growth in revenues from now till 2006.
The study also noted that while banking and finance, telco, insurance, high-tech, transport, hospitality and utility industries had adopted the technology early, the retail, manufacturing, healthcare and distribution industries are starting to embrace it as well, especially in Australia and New Zealand.
|Call centre market awards|