Egenera just released an updated version of their PAN Manager orchestration and automation software. This software is one of a number of competitive products that allow physical and virtual resources to be used in an optimal, highly available and reliable way. Over the years I've had the opportunity to speak both with company officials and Egenera customers. I've heard nothing but positive statements about Egenera and its technology
Here's what the company has to say about PAN Manager 5.2
Egenera, Inc. today announced its next generation software solution for unifying virtual and physical infrastructure management, PAN Manager® software by Egenera®, release 5.2. Powerful new features including open APIs enable customers and third parties to integrate PAN Manager commands and functions into their own software suites. With an existing installed base of 1,300 licenses across 350 global customers, PAN Manager software continues to be the first choice for managing computing resources to create more efficient, reliable dynamic data centers.
What's new?Here's what Egenera has to say about what's new in this release:
The major innovations in the latest release of PAN Manager software focus on simplifying manageability through an increasingly granular level of management for both virtual and physical resources. The many major new and enhanced features in PAN Manager software, release 5.2 include:
- Open APIs enabling customers or third parties to integrate PAN Manager commands and functions into their own software suites;
- Linux 2.6 kernel compatibility to run PAN Controllers for enhanced performance;
- Embedded Citrix 4.1 technology enabling Live Migration, support for Red Hat 64-bit operating systems and dynamic memory allocation;
- Support for vLAN technology enabling superior flexibility in designing computing environments within the processing area network – the PAN; and
- Support for WinPE 2.1 enabling customers to utilize industry standard tools to manage their Microsoft operating system deployments and provisioning.
Snapshot AnalysisEgenera is one of a number of competitors offering orchestration and auotmation software to manage physical and virtual resources. They're competiting with products from Cassatt, Novell, Scalent Systems, Surgient, VMLogix and several others.
This means that the company always faces the challenge of getting the attention of busy IT executives. If my conversations with Egenera customers is any guide, it would be worth taking the time to learn more about their products.