Europe's antitrust chief said on Wednesday, less than a month after Google submitted a new round of concessions to address anticompetitive concerns, that his agency is nearing the conclusion of its three-year investigation.
In a speech given in Washington D.C., EU Competition Commission Joaquin Almunia said he asked Google to "improve its [concessions] offer," and noted discussions into a final decision are "ongoing."
Almunia said despite a similar ruling by its American counterparts, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) earlier this year, the EU authorities will not reach identical conclusions because Google's market share in the 28 member state bloc is far larger, reports the Associated Press.
Google has a market share of more than 90 percent in online search, according to Almunia.
The FTCinto Google's anticompetitive practices in the U.S. in early January. Google avoided a fine, but was told to alter its business practices as a result of the settlement.
The new proposals, which were later confirmed by the Commission, will aim to resolve differences between the company and the 28 member state bloc, amid calls that Google is stifling competition in the region.
"We will not have to wait a long time to see which of the routes will be chosen," Almunia said. "But this is only one case among many others, albeit a very visible one."