Facebook has updated its native iOS mobile app. You can grab version 4.1 now from Apple's App Store. Version 4.0 was released just two months ago.
Here is Facebook for iOS 4.1's official changelog:
- Access to Mobile Timeline on iPhone (if you already have a timeline). iPad support coming soon.
- Access to friend lists, subscribers and subscriptions
- Faster, better performance
When Facebook launched the new Timeline profile earlier this week, it also released a mobile version. The social networking giant only rolled it out on two platforms, however: its mobile website and Google's Android.
Now it's out for the iPhone as well, and we know an iPad update is coming soon. Given how quickly the iPhone update followed Android's, I would bet Facebook probably had both versions ready at the same time, but had to wait for Apple's much more stringent app approval process.
The second change in this version is expected: three months ago, Facebook launched Subscriptions, so it's about time the iPhone app lets users access them. As for the last bullet point, performance improvements are never detailed, but are always welcome.
Facebook for iOS remains the most popular app in the iTunes App Store. Version 4.1 is compatible with the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, but requires iOS 4.0 or later, according to Facebook. It officially supports 13 languages: English, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Turkish.
- Facebook explains why Apple iPad app came so late
- Steve Jobs: "I admire Mark Zuckerberg."
- Facebook Platform goes mobile, starting with Apple iOS
- Facebook releases Apple iPad app, finally
- Apple-Facebook relationship almost ended over HP TouchPad (rumor)
- Facebook's iPad app was done in May, developer defects to Google