Nokia makes some awesome devices and I continue to be impressed by their innovation and functionality. However, as we saw last year Nokia is expanding their service offerings, largely through aquisitions. I think Nokia will continue with their hardware, but their future focus on services may be where they focus a lot of effort and IMHO is actually much more intriguing. I just read an interesting article by Stephen Wellman over at Information Week where he give five reasons that Nokia should buy Yahoo.
Stephen's five reasons are:
- Nokia needs a stronger desktop presence
- Nokia could dominate in the mobile location-based area
- Nokia needs to grow in the U.S. (Amen brother!)
- Nokia needs to grow its online advertising
- Nokia cannot afford to let Microsoft or Google gain more online market share
I think his reasoning makes a lot of sense and is highly dependent on figuring out what Nokia's future plans really are with their mobile services. Ovi is Nokia's planned portal for their mobile services (social networking, location-based services, mapping, music, gaming, and more) and could just as easily be Ovi, powered by Nokia-Yahoo. Would you like to see Nokia aquire Yahoo?