At Google I/O in San Francisco, Google's Vic Gundotra unveils a new royalty-free video format called WebM. Google has partnered with software developers Mozilla and Opera to support the encoding technology in their browsers. The format is based on the VP8 technology that Google acquired from On2 Technologies in February.
- The time is right for the WebM video project
- Google I/O: The effects of luring the Enterprise into the cloud
- Google I/O: App Engine, VMWare partnership further boosts enterprise offering
- Google I/O: Show kicks off with push for HTML5, browser computing
- Live: Google I/O 2010
- Google I/O: The relaunch of Wave - no invitation necessary