/>
X
Business

Google Chrome: 3.8% browser share

Just a week after its launch, there are more ZDNet.com.au readers using Google Chrome than Apple's Safari browser. Meanwhile, Microsoft Internet Explorer now accounts for just 53 per cent of all browsers.
Written by Munir Kotadia, Contributor on

Just a week after its launch, there are more ZDNet.com.au readers using Google Chrome than Apple's Safari browser. Meanwhile, Microsoft Internet Explorer now accounts for just 53 per cent of all browsers.

Browser market share today

Browsers used by ZDNet.com.au readers today.

Google Chrome appears to be a hit, with 3.8 per cent of ZDNet.com.au readers already using the new browser. From internal statistics, it appears that Chrome users have either ditched Internet Explorer or Firefox 2.

Browser market share BC (before Chrome)

Browsers used by ZDNet.com.au readers BC (before Chrome).

On 1 September (the day before Chrome's launch), Microsoft IE 7 enjoyed 35.1 per cent of the market while IE 6 accounted for 22.5 per cent, meaning the total IE market share stood at 57.6 per cent. Today, Microsoft's combined browser market share stands at 52.9 per cent with IE 7 at 33.1 per cent and IE 6 holding on to 19.8 per cent.

Firefox 3.0's market share has been boosted during the same period, from 26.5 per cent to 29.9 per cent. Firefox 2 however, has taken a hit, falling from 8.1 per cent to 6 per cent market share.

[? template('/'.constant('CMS_VHOST').'/common/poll/display_poll.htm', 1620741191) ?]

Interestingly, Apple's Safari Browser, which is built on the same WebKit framework as Google Chrome, has hardly been affected, moving down 0.2 per cent from 3.4 per cent share to 3.2 percent.

Chrome's rise has been meteoric, accounting for 2.5 per cent of browsers the day after it was launched and peaking at 4.5 per cent on Thursday — when the hype was at its peak — before dropping off again on Friday. Currently, Chrome's market share stands at 3.8 per cent.

All the above figures are based solely on the browsers used by ZDNet.com.au readers to access the site.

Have you downloaded Chrome? Will it be replacing your regular browser? How much market share can Chrome realistically own? Can IE bounce back? Have your say in the talkback below.

Editorial standards

Related

The 16 best Cyber Monday deals under $30 still available
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K

The 16 best Cyber Monday deals under $30 still available

We will see a completely new type of computer, says AI pioneer Geoff Hinton
artificial-intelligence

We will see a completely new type of computer, says AI pioneer Geoff Hinton

Watch out for this triple-pronged PayPal phishing and fraud scam
phishing.jpg

Watch out for this triple-pronged PayPal phishing and fraud scam