It's a big launch week for Apple with the release of iOS 5 and iCloud on Wednesday, with the iPhone 4S set to hit shelves this Friday.
Also making its debut is the Apple Newsstand, which acts as a partner-of-sorts to the iBookstore. Users can purchase magazines and newspapers directly from the app (just like the iBookstore), and the issues will be downloaded and kept in one place. This is also partially why you see more publishers leaning towards HTML5 rather than the traditional mobile app as all purchases must go through the Newsstand, and therefore the iTunes system.
One such company taking advantage of the Newsstand is Graphicly, a digital content delivery system and community platform with over 300 publishers and 4,000 creators from major publishers on tap, including Marvel, Image Comics, BOOM! Studios, Top Cow, and IDW Publishing.
Here's a snapshot of some of the titles launching immediately on the Apple Newsstand, with the promise of many more on the way:
- The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard from Image Comics
- Savage Dragon by Erik Larsen, from Image Comics
- Irredeemable by Mark Waid and Peter Kruase from BOOM! Studios
- Invincible by Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley from Image Comics
- Morning Glories by Nick Spencer and Joe Eisma from Image Comics
- Near Death by Jay Faerber and Simone Guglielmini from Image Comics
These comics and more are available for purchase and subscription via Apple Newsstand and are optimized specifically for the iPad. New titles will be released the same day as print and delivered automatically to users.
Graphicly already has an HTML5 app as well as existing mobile apps for the iPhone, iPad and Android devices, including Barnes and Noble's Nook Color and the upcoming the Amazon Kindle Fire.