Communications and IT Minister Daryl Williams has called for public comment as part of a review into the handling of offensive material on mobile devices as one of his last actions in office.
Minister Williams has already directed the Australian Communications Authority to regulate the access of certain content on mobile phones and devices, pending the outcome of the review, to "ensure ongoing protection of children from inappropriate or offensive content".
"The review will also examine the application of existing regulatory measures to new and emerging services and services not previously available through mobile communication tools," said Minister Williams.
The regulation will include setting access control features for adult content delivered on premium rate mobile services, according to a release issued by Minister Williams today, designed to " restrict access by children to content that is unsuitable for them".
"The review ... will help inform the Government's longer term approach to the regulation of audiovisual content on mobile devices, including mobile phones," he said.
However, the Minister will not be in office to see the directive brought to fruition as submission for public comment closes early September, with the regulation to follow sometime after.
Liberal Senator Helen Coonan is expected take over the reins in this campaign, having been announced as the Minister's replacement last night. Minister Williams is scheduled to officially stand down at 2.30pm this Sunday.