A Galaxy Note 7 owner in China has posted pictures of a burnt Galaxy Note 7 handset, alleging that it exploded. If confirmed, it will be the first reported case of the handset catching fire in the country, reports Asia Business Daily.
Citing local Chinese media, the report said Baidu user "Chiwawani" posted pictures of the burnt phone on a discussion board on local web portal Baidu, claiming it exploded after the phone went dead.
The user also posted pictures of the receipt and box, and claimed to have bought the phone on JD.com, a local online shopping mall and rival of Alibaba.
In its initial recall announcement, Samsung stressed that batches sold in China did not use faulty batteries. The company decided to recall 1,858 units, but were only those pre-ordered before official sales began there on September 1.
It remains to be seen however, if the claim is true, as there are multiple "copycat" devices of Samsung's sold in China. There have been false reports in France, the UK, and Vietnam.
An official from Samsung Electronics China said it was in the process of contacting the user and securing the phone.
Samsung was unavailable for comment in South Korea.
In the US, out of 1 million devices sold, there were 92 reports of the phones catching fire, according to the CPSC, which itself issued a formal recall last week.
Samsung stopped selling and initiated a global recall of the Note 7 on September 2 after discovering a battery defect caused the device to catch fire.