- Alias: "Virus Warning"
- Subject: Dangerous Virus Warning
- Body: There is a dangerous virus circulating. Please click attached picture to view it and learn to avoid it.
- Attachment: virus_warning.jpg.vbs
- Notes: also sends Urgent_virus_warning.htm.
- Alias: "Virus ALERT!!!"
- Subject: Virus ALERT!!!
- Body: Dear Symantec customer, Symantec's AntiVirus Research Center began receiving reports regarding VBS.LoveLetter.A virus early morning on May 4, 2000 GMT.
This worm appears to originate from the Asia Pacific region. Distribution of the virus is widespread and hundreds of thousands of machines are reported infected. The VBS.LoveLetter.A is an Internet worm that uses Microsoft Outlook to e-mail itself as an attachment. The subject line of the e-mail reads ILOVEYOU, with the attachment titled LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.VBS. Once the attachment is opened, the virus replicates and sends an e-mail to all e-mail addresses listed in the address book. The virus also spreads itself via Internet relay chat and infects files on local and remote drives including files with extensions vbs, vbe, js, sje, css, wsh, sct, hta, jpg, jpeg, mp3, mp2.
Users should exercise caution when opening e-mails with this subject line, even if the e-mail is from someone they know, as that is how the virus is spread.
Symantec Corp. today announced availability of the virus definition to detect, repair and protect users against the VBS.LoveLetter.A virus.
This definition is available now via Symantec's LiveUpdate and can also be downloaded from the following web sites: http://www.symantecstore.com/AF74211/promo/ loveletter and http://www.digitalriver.com/symantec
Also as a quick solution Symantec Corp. offers Visual Basic Script to protect your PC against this worm. (See attached.)
Note! When executed, this script will protect Your PC from being INFECTED by VBS.LoveLetter.A virus.
To cure already infected PC's download Norton Antivirus Updates mentioned above.
Symantec Corporation - a world leader in internet security technology.
Notes: Eventhough it says it's from firstname.lastname@example.org, it is not from Symantec. This variant also overwrites files with .bat and .com extensions.
- Alias: "No Comments"
- Subject: Same as A
- Body: Same as A
- Attachment: Same as A
- Notes: A slight variation on A. Comment lines at the beginning of the worm code have been removed.
- Alias: "Brainstorm" "Important! Read carefully!!"
- Subject: Important ! Read carefully!!
- Body: Check the attached IMPORTANT coming from me!
- Attachment: IMPORTANT.TXT.vbs
Variants : a to e Think it's over? Think again. Here are the latest variants to watch for in your email inbox.
Variants : j to m "I Can't Believe This!", Arab Air and other virus variants.
Variants : n to s Yeah, Yeah, LOOK!, Bewerbung, and more virus variants.
Go to ZDNet's ILOVEYOU Special Report