In other Samsung news, the tech giant is looking to boost 3D TV sales with a special promotion involving some free 3D active shutter glasses.
If you plan on buying a Samsung 3D TV, hold off until April 24. Starting that day, every Samsung-branded 3D LED TV or 3D Plasma TV will come with two pairs of 3D active glasses. Customers who purchase a D7000 and higher 3D LED TV or a D6500 and above 3D Plasma TVs will get the 3D Starter Kit, which includes the same pairs of 3D spectacles, a voucher for Megamind 3D on Blu-ray and the complete Shrek collection in 3D.
The free glasses in question, the SSG-3100GB, is a standard pair that will retail for $50 starting on May 1. But if you're already planning to buy a 3D TV set that requires glasses and doesn't come with them at the moment, then you could consider this $50-$100 saved. However, there are plenty of cheaper 3D shades that are comparable to this and cost far less, so don't base your 3D TV purchase on a couple of pairs of free glasses.
Related coverage on ZDNet:
- 3D-enabled smartphones won't do any better than 3D TVs
- Toshiba unloads LED and 3D smart, personal HDTVs
- Vizio unveils 2011 Theater 3D TV series; starts at $549
- CTIA Wireless: Muvee brings 3D video editing to Android devices
- Samsung's new HDTV accessories include router, funky QWERTY TV remote, prescription-ready 3D glasses