Stewardess electrocuted while on iPhone 5

Bride-to-be and a stewardess with China Southern Airline was electrocuted while answering calls on iPhone 5 that was charging. Apple says it will investigate and cooperate with police.

iphonechhinathumb
Apple says it is investigating the matter and will cooperate with police.

Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old stewardess at China Southern Airline, was reportedly electrocuted and killed while answering phone calls on a charging iPhone 5.

Ma's older sister said on Chinese microblogging service Sina Weibo the stewardess on July 11 was hit by a "strong electronic current" while talking on the iPhone which was connected to a charger. The family also said the phone was purchased through official channels in December 2012 and, therefore, was still within the one-year warranty.

"With a very low level of voltage, a mobile phone itself is not life-threatening," said J. Wong, the managing director of local smartphone maker Meizu, in a report by Chinese news site MyDrivers.com. However, he said there could be risks if the charger or the computer to which the phone was connected had a current leakage.

Police said they were investigating the case and confirmed Ma had died from electrocution.

The bride-to-be was due to get married on August 8, an auspicious date in China suggesting prosperity and good luck.

Meanwhle, Apple issued a statement: "We are saddened by this unfortunate accident and our deepest condolence goes to the victim's family. We will conduct a thorough investigation and be fully cooperative."