Take a look at Glassdoor's best places to work
list and you'll notice a lot of tech-related companies known for their free lunches and other cool perks. But dig deeper into the comments of what landed these companies in the top and you'll see what's really keeping folks happy.
The rankings are based on reviews from employees throughout the past year. Glassdoor ranked the top 50 large companies, ones with more than 1,000 employees, as well as the best medium-sized firms.
Work culture, namely working with other "smart people" and having a "challenging" or "meaningful" job, had a lot to do with employee satisfaction. The word innovation pops a lot as well, which suggests folks are most satisfied with companies working to solve problems and finding new ways to do that.
The top 10 winners with 1,000 or more employees:
- Bain & Company - Boston, Mass.
- Twitter - San Francisco, Calif.
- LinkedIn - Mountain View, Calif.
- Eastman Chemical - Kingsport, Tenn.
- Facebook - Menlo Park, Calif.
- Guidewire - Foster City, Calif.
- Interactive Intelligence - Indianapolis, Ind.
- Google - Mountain View, Calif.
- Orbitz Worlwide - Chicago, Ill.
- Nestle Purina PetCare - Saint Louis, Mo
The top 10 winners with 250 to 999 employees:
- Motley Fool - Alexandria, Va.
- SmartBear Software - Beverly, Mass.
- Travelzoo - New York, N.Y.
- Cornerstone OnDemand - Santa Monica, Calif.
- Paycom - Oklahoma City, Okla.
- MediaMath - New York, N.Y.
- SirsiDynix - Lehi, Utah
- Fast Enterprises - Denver, Colo.
- Paylocity - Arlington Heights, Ill.
- Logos Bible Software - Bellingham, Wash.
This post was originally published on Smartplanet.com