If you happen to be in Times Square in New York City right about now, you'll be among the first to experience the just opened Wired Store 2011, which is 10,000 square foot of gadget goodness curated by our favorite magazine.
Part retail store, part tech museum and an all-round social space, you can drop by to pickup that hard-to-find piece of tech you've read about, gawk at some of the more artistic/futuristic pieces not for sale, or just attend one of the many themed days to learn and meet kindred spirits.
Some must-see gadgets include:
- 24-carat gold plated Atari gaming console ($6,650)
- Trithon Reyn 96” TV, mounted in a slick combo of walnut, steel and brass, with a genuine python belt ($30,000)
- iTree docking station for iPhone and iPod, made from a hollow tree trunk ($15,580)
- Superplexus, a supersized spherical maze ($30,000)
Gadget gifts you won't find at your local Best Buy:
- Lytro Light Field Camera ($399-499)
- Intelligent play Sifteo Cubes ($149)
- iCade iPad arcade cabinet ($99.99)
- Coffee Joulies, cool down coffee that’s too hot and warm up coffee that’s too cold ($40)
Art installations and other highlights located inside the Wired Store:
- Two custom Lego sculptures by Nathan Sawaya (the “Brick Artist”)
- HD collage of guest-driven video recorded by XBOX Kinect by Erik Mika
- Interactive photo-rotating frame wall by OnomonoMEDIA
- Kickstarter-curated collection of products including a desktop jellyfish tank and TikTok+LunaTik kits that turn iPod Nanos into touchscreen watches
- Etsy-curated collection of tech-forward products like a USB typewriter that connects to iPad
- Y Combinator “Smarter Upstarter” package – winning bidder will receive office hours with Y Combinator, flight and lodging provided by Hipmunk and Airbnb and lunch with a WIRED editor
- Saturday, Nov. 26: GeekDad Family Day
- Wednesday, Nov. 30: Norman Reedus of AMC’s “The Walking Dead” photo exhibit
- Sunday, Dec. 4: Game Day
- Wednesday, Dec. 7 and Thursday, Dec. 15: Music Spotlight Series, featuring the hottest rising indie bands
- Saturday, Dec. 3, 10, and 17: Maker Demo Days
The pop up store is located at 42nd and Broadway, and opens from noon to 7:00 p.m. Wednesdays through Sundays (closed Thanksgiving Day), from now until December 24. If you can't make it down to New York these next couple of weeks, you can still order some items through its online store.
For those who plan on checking out the Wired Store on Saturday, trek uptown to Nintendo World as well to try out (and snag a copy of) The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for the Wii ahead of its launch on November 20.
It's a sweet time to be a geek in Manhattan this weekend.
- Holiday Gift Guide 2011: Gifts for gadget girls
- Holiday Gift Guide 2011: Gadget gifts under $100
- 10 holiday gift ideas for alpha geeks (photos)
- Holiday Gift Guide 2011: Top 10 smartphones
- Holiday Gift Guide 2011: Our 20 favorite tech gifts