2010 was quite an interesting year for smartphones with a resurgence in Android, launch and quick death of the KIN, steady growth of the iPhone, slow decline of Nokia and Palm, and much, much more. I wanted to put together another one of my reference posts that looks at the devices I have reviewed over the past year, along with some fun awards for the devices I had the chance to try out. You can check out my 2009 year in review post and see what I thought about the mobile phone world at that time.
Android was the hottest smartphone platform of 2010 and six of my top ten posts were focused on Android devices while two were related to the iPhone, one to Windows Phone 7, and the most popular post covering them all. So, let's start this post out with the Top 10 posts of 2010:
- Top 10 smartphones of 2010 ... for now (4 times more popular than 2nd most viewed post)
- World heavyweight title fight; Motorola Droid X vs HTC EVO 4G
- Microsoft Windows Phone 7 technical preview: A definitive guide
- First look review: HTC DROID Incredible from Verizon Wireless
- Good job with iPhone 4, but the Sprint HTC EVO 4G is staying
- Was Gizmodo punk'd by Apple? Photos of this iPhone appeared in February
- Hands-on with the Sprint HTC EVO 4G; is it a carrier changer?
- Verizon smartphone comparison; Is the HTC DROID Incredible the best?
- Free Skype video calls on the HTC EVO 4G thanks to Fring
- Apple iPhone 4 launch day; why I won't be buying one for the first time
I have a couple of titles I would like to award to the devices I checked out in 2010.
Best QWERTY keyboard: T-Mobile Nokia E73 Mode Best looking display: Samsung Galaxy S lineup (Super AMOLED rocks!) Device that surprised me: HTC HD7 (Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 was MUCH more stable and responsive than I ever thought it would be.)
Best Symbian device of the year: Nokia N8 Best Windows Phone 7 device of the year: Samsung Focus Best Palm/HP WebOS device of the year: Palm Pre 2 Best BlackBerry device of the year: RIM BlackBerry Bold 9780 Best Android device of the year: Sprint HTC EVO 4G Best iOS device of the year: Apple iPhone 4
Worst mobile device of the year: Microsoft KIN Best overall mobile device of the year: HTC EVO 4G (Took top honors in two of my posts even with several months in between.)
As we move into 2011 there are some devices we know are coming and some that are rumored. Here is what I look forward to trying to evaluate in 2011:
- Nokia E7
- Nokia MeeGo device
- Next generation HTC Windows Phone 7 device
- Next generation HTC Android device
- New Apple iPhone
- New HP/Palm webOS device
- Verizon LTE smartphone
What was your favorite mobile device of the year? I listed 10 representative choices below, but if you have something different feel free to leave a Talkback. Also, what are you looking forward to in 2011?