Gawker comment passwords were hacked over the weekend and judging from the idiotic selections from some users they had a security breach coming anyway.
The Wall Street Journal's Digits blog rounded up the top 50 Gawker media passwords. Here's the recap:
- More than 3,000 people had "123456" as a password.
- Nearly 2,000 people had "password" as a password.
- More than 1,000 folks had 12345678 as a password.
Other gems included "qwerty," "abc123" and "111111." Let's get real here. If you selected those passwords YOU DESERVE TO GET HACKED!
Memo to anyone creating a password. Capital letters are good. Symbols are good. And numbers can't hurt either. Never---ever---use password as a password.
- Repeat after me: "Reusing passwords is BAD!"
- The Global Cyber War Hacks and Attacks Scorecard
- Gawker hacked: Just the latest sign that Web going Wild West