the new iPod touch 2G (pictured at right). Highlights:
- The Touch has a Broadcom BCM4325 Bluetooth chip! The Nike+ runs on the same frequency (2.4 GHz) as Bluetooth. It remains to be seen if the Bluetooth chip is emulating the proprietary Nike+ protocol.
- Apple did some clever things with the iPod Touch speaker. It's 0.2mm thin and mounted directly on the metal backplate.
- This iPod is somewhat difficult to take apart-- fairly similar to the previous iPod touch. Evidently Apple's claims of being environmentally friendly only extend to their manufacturing.
They've also disassembled the nano 4G
(pictured at left). Highlights:
- The 4G Nano screen is the same resolution and physical size as the previous 'fat' Nano 3G.
- The display cover is a piece of curved glass that physically separates from the case. The glass is .7 mm thick on the edges and 1.7 mm thick in the middle.
- The Nano has an updated Samsung-manufactured ARM processor capable of running all the fancy new games and software features.
Ahh, iFixIt. Gotta love 'em!