The iBurst wireless broadband network owned by failed
Australian ICT products and services firm Commander would be shut
down by 19 December, according to a failed bidder for the
Wireless internet provider BigAir, which had put in a bid to buy
the network built by Personal Broadband Australia, yesterday said
it had been advised by Commander's receivers, McGrathNicol, about
the failure of its bid.
"The company has also been advised by the receivers that they
intend to discontinue providing iBurst services and the network
will be shut down and closed no later than December 19, 2008," said
Big Air in a statement.
The closure has the potential to leave a number of Australian
ISPs in the lurch, as iBurst primarily operated through a wholesale
model where its services were re-branded and on-sold by others.
It remains unclear just how many customers were using the
network, with 3G mobile broadband having caught up with iBurst
speeds and started offering improved coverage over the past few
BigAir noted it was actively negotiating with a number of
competing wirless broadband players to migrate its own iBurst
customers to other services.