Griffin iPhone 6 Plus case roundup: Slim and stylish to rugged durability
Apple iPhone 6 Plus case lineup from Griffin Technology
Griffin Technology has been creating Apple iPhone cases for many years and continues to launch new products regularly. There are several alternatives for the Apple iPhone 6 Plus and as you can see in this image gallery I had the chance to test out the Reveal, Identity, Survivor Slim, Survivor Core, and Survivor All-Terrain.
You will find the pros, cons, price, and thoughts on who each case is for as you go through the image gallery.
After testing out each case, my personal preference is for the Identity because I like the slim form factor and ability to switch out the back panel to add a bit of customization.
Back of the case retail packages
Each case tested with the iPhone 6 Plus
Identity for iPhone 6 Plus, Graphite
The Identity comes with various back options, including Fresh, Bold, Classic, Functional, and Performance. The Graphite, in black and white, is shown in these photos.
The case comes as two pieces, a frame and a back insert. The style you purchase determines what the frame piece will consist of, but you can purchase any of the backplates to change up the look of your device.
The graphite pattern is embedded along the top and sides of the frame with openings for the ringer switch, headset jack, and Lightning port. Holes are drilled in the frame for the speaker opening at the bottom. There is also a large opening in the back for the camera and flash.
The case is rated for a four foot drop on the edges, but I wasn't about to drop test my expensive iPhone.
- Pros: Stylish, slim and light, side and back protection
- Cons: No front protection
- Price: $34.99
- Why choose this case: The Identity adds very little size to the iPhone 6 Plus and also offers the ability to easily change up the back, depending on your mood and style.
Graphite back of the Identity case
There are openings in the bottom of the Identity case
Identity case in hand
Back opening for the camera and flash
Reveal for the iPhone 6 Plus
The Reveal is even lighter than the Identity case, but also offers just one layer of protection.
The back of the Reveal is clear plastic while the frame is black, hot pink, or white. The frame adds just 1.6 mm of thickness to your iPhone 6 Plus. Griffin states that the Reveal provdes protection on the edges for drops up to three feet onto concrete.
- Pros: Minimal size and weight, shows off the back of the iPhone while offering some back protection
- Cons: No front protection, basic frame design
- Price: $19.99
- Why choose this case: This case is affordable, provides limited protection, and lets you enjoy the design of Apple's latest smartphone.
Bottom openings of the Reveal
Griffin Survivor Slim case
When you need rugged protection with some style then you can look to the Griffin Survivor Slim. There are three levels of protection on this case, including the plastic frame, screen protector, and silicone outer layer.
The directions inside the box show how to properly setup the case and also remove your iPhone when you want to take it out. The outer silicone layer is pretty bulky, but does offer protection for 2 meter (6.6 feet) drops. It also makes it impossible to scratch your iPhone.
You can purchase the Survivor Slim in black or mineral blue/clear.
- Pros: Three layers of protection, silicone helps you grip your iPhone
- Cons: Makes an already large phone package even bigger.
- Price: $44.99
- Why choose this case: If you need serious protection, then you may want to consider this case. There is no protection from water with the main focus on inadvertent drops.
Inner frame of the Survivor Slim
Back of the Survivor Slim in blue
Bottom openings of the Survivor Slim
Survivor Slim in hand
Survivor Core in hand
The Survivor Core appears to be the Griffin Reveal with more edge protection. The case has a one piece design with no screen protection.
Like the Reveal, the back is completely clear plastic so you can see through to the back of your iPhone. The four corners have additional material for greater protection against corner drops. Unlike the plain sides of the Reveal, the Survivor Core has a graphite look and texture to provide more style and protection.
The Survivor Core is available in black and purple. While the black one I tested has a clear plastic back, the purple one has purple edges and a purple tinted back plastic piece.
- Pros: Slim design for a rugged case, stylish edges, durable plastic back.
- Cons: No screen protection.
- Price: $29.99
- Why choose this case: If you want a bit more protection than what the Reveal provides, then the Survivor Core is a case to consider. The graphite edges look great and this case provides 2 meter (6.6 feet) drop protection with very little bulk added to your iPhone 6 Plus.
Bottom openings in the Survivor Core
Back and rugged corners of the Survivor Core
Stylish graphite edges
Survivor Core in hand
View of the inside frame of the Survivor All-Terrain
The Survivor All-Terrain is the most rugged case available from Griffin. You can pick it up in four different color options including black/black, black/blue, olive/lime, and pink/black.
THere are three layers of protection with a rugged belt clip too. The outer silicone shell and inner plastic frame piece are designed to always stay together, unlike other rugged cases I tested where the two pieces come apart to help with installation. On the Survivor All-Terrain you place your iPhone 6 Plus in the frame/silicone piece and then snap in the front anti-scratch shield.
Don't worry, the Touch ID works through the front protective film. There are silicone port covers for the Lightning port, headset jack, and ringer switch. The camera and flash have a protective clear plastic piece over them as does the front headset speaker.
The case is large, but still feels great in the hand and gives you a sense of serious protection. The belt clip rotates and securely holds your iPhone 6 Plus in place.
- Pros: Designed to withstand 2 meter (6.6 feet) drops onto concrete, rainstorms, 40 mph sandstorms, and key scratches on the display. It is easy to install your iPhone 6 Plus into the case. The case is light for the layers of protection it offers.
- Cons: None
- Price: $59.99
- Why choose this case: If you are looking for ultimate protection of your new iPhone 6 Plus, then the Survivor All-Terrain is definitely a case to consider.