/>
X

AMD confirms manufacturing spinoff

Chipmaker says it will focus its investment on plants in New York and Germany, as it gets backing from the United Arab Emirates.
colin-barker.jpg
Written by Colin Barker, Senior Reporter on

AMD is to split off its manufacturing operations through a finance deal with an investment firm from the United Arab Emirates, which will leave AMD with total control of only its design wing.

The chipmaker confirmed on Tuesday that it has signed an agreement with Advanced Technology Investment Company (ATIC) of Abu Dhabi, to form a joint company that will take over the company's manufacturing interests.

In a conference call on Tuesday, AMD outlined the scheme, which will see an eventual investment from ATIC of US$5.7 billion for a 55.6 percent stake in the joint venture, to be called The Foundry Company. The chipmaker will retain the remaining 44.4 percent of the new company. AMD has two major plants: one in Dresden, Germany; and another in New York State.

Work has already begun in New York and, according to AMD, investment there will lead to another 1,400 jobs. There will, however, be "a small number of layoffs" as a result of the investment, according to company chief executive, Dirk Meyer.

The initial investment will be US$2.1 billion, of which US700 million will come from ATIC.

In a statement, IBM welcomed the job creation in New York, a state where IBM itself has considerable investment. The company has a major technology base in nearby Burlington, Vermont.

According to AMD, the Mubadala Development Company will also increase its current investment in the company to 19.3 percent, up from its previous 8.1 percent stake following a deal signed last year.

ATIC and Mubadala are investment firms established by the Abu Dhabi government, where ATIC focuses its investments in the local and global advanced technology sector.

Related

This stuff is better than compressed air for cleaning your dirty tech
img-6864

This stuff is better than compressed air for cleaning your dirty tech

Office Hardware & Appliances
Google looks to reduce pushback bias in developers' software code review
close up programmer man hand typing on keyboard at computer desktop for input coding language to software for fix bug and defect of system in operation room , technology concept

Google looks to reduce pushback bias in developers' software code review

Developer
Are you ready for the worst Economy Class airline seats in the world?
airline-seats.jpg

Are you ready for the worst Economy Class airline seats in the world?

Business