Another iPhone shock case in China leaves man in coma

30-year-old Wu Jiantong remains in ICU in a Beijing hospital, 10 days after he received an electric shock while connecting his iPhone 4 to a third-party charger. This is the second such case involving an iPhone in China, where the first had left a Chinese stewardess dead.
Written by Liu Jiayi, Contributor
This is the second electric shock case involving iPhone to emerge in China.

For the past 10 days, a man in China has been in a coma and Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in a Beijing hospital after getting shocked while charging his iPhone, according to a Beijing Wan Bao report published on July 18.

Wu Jiantong, 30, apparently had yelled "I'm getting shocked" when he was connecting his iPhone 4 to a charger, which was later found to be a counterfeit or third-party product. His sister related the incident, adding that she went to his rescue by pulling the charger out of the socket.

"I then felt needle-like pains on my fingertips. The current was running from my finger, through to my arm and body, and to the foot," said Wu's sister. By then, her brother was not responsive, and was twisting and foaming at the mouth.

When the ambulance came, medics had to give Wu cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Upon arrival at the hospital, he wasn't breathing and was in a poor condition, but doctors managed to revive him. Three days later, Wu's condition had stabilized, but he remained in a coma and ICU due to a lack of oxygen supply to his brain over a long period of time.

"It was no doubt an electric shock," said Wu's doctor atthe Hai Dian Hospital in Beijing.

According to the Beijing Wan Bao report, both the iPhone and the charger appeared to still be in good working condition. However, Wu's sister said the charger was not a genuine Apple product but a third-party option.

These details emerge after news broke earlier this week that a Chinese stewardess had died after reportedly being electrocuted, while answering phonecalls on her iPhone 5 that was being charged. Media reports later suggested the charger she was using might not have been a genuine Apple product

Editorial standards