I know some people who leave home with just their smartphone (in the day of being able to unlock your door and pay for stuff with a smartphone, keys and credit cards are optional).
Not me. I was never a Boy Scout, but I did watch a lot of Macgyver as a kid, and I think that made me value the idea of being prepared at all times.
Now, while I don't want to be weighed down like a pack horse, I do like to have a few tools and gadgets with me to help me fix things and otherwise get things done during the day.
Here's my every day carry (EDC) pocket gear. I always like to have a decent multitool, a pen, and a flashlight with me at all times, as well as a charging cable and a portable power pack (especially if I'm going to be away from a mains outlet for a while).
I have added to this a selection of tools and gadgets suggested by readers.
If you're in the market for a multitool, here is a selection from the ones I have tried and tested. I've included a variety of different sizes and price points, so there should be something to suit everyone.
- There are two versions of the iPhone 7 -- did you end up with a fast one or a slow one?
- How to avoid buying counterfeit Apple cables and chargers
- It's time to stop obsessing over PC sales
- Apple's disgracefully outdated Mac lineup is killing sales
- Google destroys the Android fan myth that the iPhone is too expensive