Summer travel is just around the corner, and now would be a great time to start shopping for a new digital camera. Here's a round-up of five point-and-shoots on the market you could take on the road.
- Nikon Coolpix S220: This Nikon Coolpix model performs solidly across the board. A cute compact (available in aqua green, blue, silver, black and plum), this 10-megapixel resolution camera features vibration reduction to balance camera shake. It also has a "blink proof" function, which automatically shoots two sequential frames and saves the one in which the subject’s eyes are wide open. (Average price: $149.)
- Fuji Finepix Z33WP: This Fuji Finepix model looks simple, but the 10-megapixel camera is waterproof to depths of 3 meters and has rubber buttons that are easy to grip in adventurous situations. Plus, its small and cute (comes in black, pink and green). Thus, it's easy to carry around in almost any bag. (Average price: $170.)
- Canon Powershot SD 780 IS: This ultracompact Canon Powershot model takes impressive photos and video for a camera of its size, with 12-megapixel resolution to boot. However, the precision isn't the best, so if you're looking for high-quality action shots, this won't be the best way to go. But this sleek camera is a more fashionable choice (if that's what you're after) coming in satin red, silver, gold and black. (Average price: $249.)
- Olympus Stylus Tough 6000: If you're looking for a digital camera that's simple but can handle a lot of action, the Olympus Stylus Tough series would be an excellent option. Unveiled earlier this year, this 10-megapixel camera has a 3.6x wide optical zoom, and it can handle drastic temperatures and water up to 3 meters. The 6000-model also comes in white, yellow, blue and orange. (Average price: $269.)
- Olympus Stylus Tough 8000: If you're summer adventures are going to be on the extreme side, better to just jump to the 8000-model. Waterproof up to 10 meters, this 12-megapixel camera is also "crushproof" to 100kg. The 8000 is also a sleeker camera, available in steel blue, black and silver. Read the in-depth details on both models here. (Average price: $369.)