Google Cloud Platform is rounding out its developer tools for application performance management with Stackdriver Profiler, service that allows you to see how code actually performs in production.
Stackdriver provides monitoring, logging and diagnostics for Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services and open source packages.
The move brings more of Google's internal developer tools to its cloud. The application performance management (APM) capabilities include two existing tools--Stackdriver Trace and Debugger and a new one, Stackdriver Profiler, to round out the toolkit.
Stackdriver Profiler revolves around the concept of production profiling, which gauges the impact of a function or line of code in production. The general idea is that developers can profile their code and then optimize for issues like latency and compute resourcing.
Google's turning its internal tools into a service since developers don't have access to them because profiling client applications can be tricky due to performance, test environments and cost.
Stackdriver Profiler will analyze code across environments, run continually and aim to cut costs by remediating issues instead of scaling up to overcome them. Stackdriver Profiler collects data via sampling and then displays it in a chart on various metrics.
According to Google, Stackdriver Profiler is in beta to join Stackdriver Trace and Debugger in an APM trio for developers. Stackdriver Debugger is free as is the beta of Stackdriver Profiler. Stackdriver Trace includes a monthly quote of free trace submissions and charges after that.
- DevOps success is about culture, culture culture
- Yes, DevOps is all about business growth, especially the digital variety
- There and back around again, DevOps should listen more to customers
- DevOps is the hot topic in 2018: Five reasons why
- What is Docker and why is it so darn popular?
- Time to move on from DevOps and continuous delivery, says Google advocate
- Explore the emerging world of DevOps (ZDNet Academy)
- DevOps: What is it, and how can it help your business?
- Research report: A big shift towards DevOps adoption is coming
- Why it's time to cash a ticket to the DevOps revolution
- Ten ways DevOps can change how you run your IT department
- Implementing DevOps: 5 obstacles to overcome
- How to implement DevOps: 5 tips for doing it right
- Eight best practices for hiring DevOps engineers
- DevSecOps: What it is and how it can help you innovate in cybersecurity