Google TV's late-night announcement was not what one was expecting. Instead of being a "big announcement" as was promised on its Google TV Facebook page yesterday, it turned out to be a "mediocre-at-best" feature update to a service hardly anyone uses.
Available "in the next few days", it adds aesthetic navigation tweaks and new discovery features. Let's not forget that YouTube is already available on Google TV --- one of the few places you can actually access streaming video from within the service --- and these updates are only to keep the handful of users engaged.
A Google source confirmed to AllThingsD that this was in fact the announcement. Google did not immediately respond for comment. Let's hope for more exciting, less mundane things in the works.
Image source: Google.
- "One more thing" in Google TV: Striking back at Apple's hobby business?
- Google’s home entertainment foray: Why the Motorola deal may work
- Google TV perks up some more with Google Music
- Can Google’s purchase of Motorola save Google TV?
- CES 2012: Sony remains faithful in Google TV
- LG unveils Google TV-powered television
- Google TV software update on tap: Will it matter?
- Violet Blue: Google Plus: Too Much Unnecessary Drama
- CNET: Google promises ‘big announcements’ for Google TV