Unlike Windows 11, there's no confusion over which Mac will or won't run the next-generation MacOS. There's no clumsy compatibility tool to run, and there's no doubt.
There's a clear list. And here it is.
MacOS Monterey hardware compatibility list
- iMac - Late 2015 and later
- iMac Pro - 2017 and later
- MacBook - Early 2016 and later
- MacBook Air - Early 2015 and later
- MacBook Pro - Early 2015 and later
- Mac Pro - Late 2013 and later
- Mac mini - Late 2014 and later
That's it. Some features of the new release won't be available to Intel-based Macs, but the list of features is small and hardly going to get many Mac users clutching at their pearls.
This does mean that it's the end of the line for some Macs running MacOS Big Sur. If you're running one of these Macs, the end of the road is nigh.
- iMac - Mid and Late 2014 and Early 2015
- MacBook Air - Mid 2013 and Early 2014
- MacBook Pro - Late 2013 and Mid 2014
- MacBook - Early 2015