Microsoft's SharePoint continues to dominate enterprise document management, intranets, and internal portals, but there are cracks in the product. For instance, SharePoint's cloud progress is slow and few enterprises have a mobile fix for the software, according to a Forrester Research survey.
Forrester's survey highlights a few common criticisms of SharePoint. To wit:
- SharePoint is still hard to deploy.
- Enterprises don't see Microsoft's Yammer as a fix to SharePoint on the social, cloud and mobile fronts.
- SharePoint Online is being adopted.
- 66 percent of respondents — 158 IT decision makers — will deploy SharePoint Server 2013 in the next 12 months with 28 percent going SharePoint Online or Office 365.
- 46 percent said they had a positive experience deploying SharePoint Online, but 39 percent had issues with custom code.
- Only 15 percent have a mobile effort with SharePoint and 16 percent are waiting for Microsoft to support Android and iOS.
- 74 percent of respondents said SharePoint is meeting IT expectations, but 60 percent of business management said the software was meeting objectives.
Of the business managers disappointed with SharePoint, lack of adoption and the user experience were the biggest complaints.