Sony has unveiled the new 13.1-inch VAIO Z Series ultra-mobile notebook which weighs in at less than 1.2Kg.
- Intel Core i7 processor
- AMD Radeon HD 6650M graphics card with 1GB of RAM built into the 'Power Media Dock'
- High-resolution 13.1-inch 1600x900 anti-reflective VAIO Display Premium
- Weighs less than 1.2Kg/2.6lbs and 16.65mm/0.655-inch thick (so it's thinner and lighter than Apple's MacBook Air)
- Crafted from tough carbon fibre
- Backlit keyboard
- Quick boot
- Optional 'sheet battery' offers up to 14hr battery life and a quick charge feature
- 'Light Peak' (Thunderbolt) high-speed data IO support
Tech specs (will vary depending on model):
One feature that I like the look of on the VAIO Z is the 'sheet battery' feature, which we first saw on the VAIO S earlier this year. While the internal battery offers 7-hours of use, with the addition of the flat 'sheet battery' which clips to the underside of the notebook and boosts the battery life by an extra 7-hours. The 'sheet battery' can be charged separately to the notebook and can be easily fitted without switching the notebook off.
Another interesting feature is the 'Power Media Dock' which can be used to drive up to four displays via the HDMI and/or VGA output ports. When docked, you get access to additional USB ports along with VGA and HDMI outputs. The Power Media Dock also features an optical drive bay that can be kitted out with a Blu-ray or SuperMulti combo drive. Finally there's Dolby audio output for the audiophiles.
The Sony VAIO Z available to preorder in the UK, where it's available for $1,835. The optional dock adds another $510 to the price tag.