I know you're all enraptured by the arrival of the royal squirt over in the United Kingdom, where I live.
So before the proud parents from the House of Windsor come forth with the little one's name, I'm racing to write this blog for the purpose of suggesting a few options.
I think William and Kate should go off-piste, and call him something different. Something that reflects the progressive world trends such as those that we try to capture here on SmartPlanet, usually with some sort of business or technology twist echoing the contemporary zeitgeist.
With that in mind, just a few ideas. Feel free to write in with others:
- Paco or something similar. "Pepe Windsor" has a certain populist/elite/global hybrid ring that captures the brand of the "New Royals."
- Harald Bluetooth. Goes way back in time to honor British history and bury the hatchet, as it were, with the Vikings. Also invokes today's cyber culture.
- Thor. Like Harald Bluetooth, recognizes a Scandinavian past, and also trumpets thorium, a radioactive element that represents the future of a clean energy world. It's named after Thor, the Norse god of thunder.
- Feng Shui. Acknowledges spirituality without getting godly, and nods at the ascendance of China, with which the Royal's country will have to do business in order to survive economically.
- Sue. A British friend of mine has proposed this (I originally hail from the former colony of Pennsylvania). I really like it. William and Kate are by all appearances a heterosexual couple. But by having a boy named Sue - with apologies to Johnny Cash - they open their arms to the gay, bisexual and transgender communities.
Alas, by the time you read this, the Palace might have already gone with Charles the Infinite. Some things never change.
DISCLAIMER: Any opinions that you might detect in this story belong to the writer and do not reflect those of SmartPlanet.
Image from Highnames.com
More bits of Britain and Royals on SmartPlanet:
This post was originally published on Smartplanet.com