Build a high-performance AMD Threadripper PC
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X
AMD's top-end, 3.4 GHz (4.0 GHz turbo), 16-core/32-thread is a behemoth.
- 16 cores / 32 threads
- 3.4 GHz base and 4.0 GHz precision boost clocks
- Socket sTR4
- DDR4 Support
- 8MB L2/32MB L3 cache
- 14nm Summit Ridge
- Support for 64 PCIe lanes
- Unlocked for overclocking
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme sTR4 AMD X399
The ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme sTR4 features the X399 chipset, and comes with support for 128GB of RAM, and the following expansion:
- Extended ATX Form Factor
- AMD X399 Chipset
- AMD TR4 Socket
- 8 x DDR4-3200 (OC)
- 6 x SATA III, 3 x M.2, 1 x U.2
- 4 x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
- 1 x PCIe 2.0 x4 & 1 x PCIe 2.0 x1 Slots
- SupremeFX S1220 8-Channel HD Audio
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.1
- Nvidia SLI & AMD CrossFireX Support
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (8 x 8GB)
Why 64-gigabyte? Why not!
- DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)
- Timing 13-15-15-28
- CAS Latency 13
- Voltage 1.2V
Graphics: 2 x MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
Nvidia's flagship GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is the most advanced gaming GPU ever created, powered by the new NVIDIA Pascal architecture, which means it's just the graphics cards to put into this build (yes, two! You could saved significantly on this build and fit just the one).
- 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X
- Core Clock 1480 MHz
- Boost Clock 1582 MHz
- 1 x HDMI 2.0 3 x DisplayPort 1.4
- 3584 CUDA Cores
- PCI Express 3.0 x16
Price: 2 x $1,099
Primary storage: Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 SSD
A super-fast SSD to put your operating system and other applications you want to load fast onto.
- M.2 2280
- PCI-Express 3.0 x4
- Max sequential reads: Up to 3500 MBps
- Max sequential writes: Up to 2100 MBps
Secondary storage: WD Black 2TB WD2003FZEX
A secondary drive for your data, applications and other general storage needs.
- Interface: SATA 6.0Gb/s
- Capacity: 2TB
- RPM: 7200 RPM
- Cache: 64MB
- Improved Architectural Designs: Dual Core Processor, High Resolution Controller (HRC), StableTrac Technology
- Improved Data Protection: Vibration Control Technology (VCT), Corruption Protection Technology (CPT), NoTouch Ramp Load Technology
- Superior responsiveness with the next-generation speed that you need
PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM1000X 1000W 80 Plus Gold
This 1000W PSU offer plenty of overhead for overclocking and adding more components such as an additional GPU or more drives.
- ATX12V / EPS12V
- Full Modular
- 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
- 100 - 240 V 47 - 63 Hz
- +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@83.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A
Optical drive: ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner BW-16D1HT
Does everything you could ever want from an optical drive.
- Extreme 16X Blu-Ray writing speed
- M-disc Support
- BDXL Support
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Silent Edition
What case you get is a very personal choice (and if this is something you're going to be looking at and working with for the next few years, it's sometimes worth investing in).
Personally, I like a case that is robust (flimsy cases are a pain), aren't filled with sharp metal shards that will rip at my flesh, and offer plenty of space for hardware.
- Steel/Plastic/Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower
- 2 x USB 3.0/Mic/Headphone front ports
- 6 x 3.5-inch/2.5-inch internal 3.5-inch drive bays