It seems that the delays of as much as two to four weeks.outbreak is having a colossal effect on Apple's supply chain, with the company warning staff that replacement parts for warranty work, as well as replacement handsets, could see
There are also rumors that coronavirus could see Apple delay the launch of the 2020 iPhone 12 by as much as a month because of supply chain issues and weakened demand.
But supply chain disturbances also mean another problem -- iPhone shortages.
Yes, iPhones are in short supply. I've been watching iPhone availability, both in the US and the UK, over the past few weeks and have noticed that delivery dates timescales have increased and, notably, that availability is dependent on model, capacity, and color. Some model/color/capacity variants are more prolific than others.
And, if the coronavirus disruption continues, it's just going to get worse.
So, if you're holding out for a new iPhone, now may be the time to buy. Things are, unfortunately, likely to get worse before they get better.
And if the iPhone 12 ends up being released on schedule this fall, you can sell your iPhone for far more than an Android handset if you decided to upgrade.
Same advice goes if you're holding back on having a repair done. I've heard from two Apple repair shops that replacement displays for the newer iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro handsets are already starting to dry out, and soon those looking for even a basic repair could be waiting days, if not weeks, for parts.
I know it's a first-world problem, but consider how much of a dent in your productivity would not having your iPhone for several weeks be.
It may also be a good time to pick up a case for your iPhone -- prevention is better, and quicker, than cure.
Another product that seems affected is the AirPods Pro. These have been scarce since release, and disruptions in China have not made things better. Oh, and don't lose an earbud, as you could be listening in mono for a while. One reader claimed that she waited almost a month for a replacement AirPod Pro earbud.
- COVID-19 coronavirus: Changes I've made to my home office to make it cleaner, healthier, and safer
- Coronavirus, flu and other nasties: What if your job involves handling other people's dirty gadgets?
- Flagship Android smartphones lose their value twice as fast as iPhones
- Work from home: Essential gadgets and gear for productivity and good health
- Why coronavirus will mean no Apple WWDC 2020
- iPhone tips and tricks: How to use gestures and controls
- Don't waste your money on these Apple products: March 2020
- Still using Google Authenticator? Here's why you should get rid of it today
- Intel takes on AMD the only way it can
- iPhone and iPad apps can snoop on everything you copy to the clipboard
- Try these six awesome Google Chrome extensions today