After months of rumors, leaks, speculation, and anticipation surrounding the Galaxy Note 9, we finally have an official announcement directly from Samsung.
We now know every last detail about the company's latest flagship smartphone, built for pro and enterprise users alike. From increased storage, to a Bluetooth S Pen - there's a lot to like about the Note 9.
Here are a few of the highlights:
- 6.4-inch display is slightly larger than the Note 8
- 128GB or 512GB storage options
- Pricing starts at $999
- S Pen does a lot more than scribble on the display
Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Release date
- Preorders start Aug. 10 at 12:01 am ET
- Orders will arrive by Aug. 24
Samsung, carriers, and some retail partners will begin taking preorders for the Note 9 on Friday, August 10 at 12:01 am ET. Deliveries are currently scheduled for August 24, the same day as in-store availability
Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Pricing
- So much for "reasonable" pricing
- Tops out at $1,250
The Galaxy Note 9 will be available in 128GB or 512GB, with the former priced at $999. For the 512GB model, you can expect to pay $1,249. Keep in mind, both models offer microSD card support of up to 512GB - so don't go all out on internal storage unless you really need a phone with up to 1TB of storage.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Design
- Not a design overhaul
- Fingerprint sensor is moved
- It still has a headphone jack
When rumors first started circulating about the Note 9, they ran the gamut. From a fingerprint sensor hidden under the display to fancy new S Pen features -- we heard it all. We now know the fingerprint sensor did move, but not under the display. Instead, the sensor is still on the back of the phone, but this time around it's under the dual camera setup.
The Note 9 more or less looks just like last year's Note 8. It has a slightly bigger display, measuring 6.4-inches compared to 6.3-inches on last year's model. But not much else has changed.
The Note 9 will be available in a new ocean blue and lavender purple in the US, with black and copper color options internationally.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Features
- Bixby 2.0
- Big update to the S Pen
- Smarter camera
For the first time since it was released, the S Pen now has Bluetooth connectivity and will add the ability to control various aspects of the Note 9. From launching apps to media playback, the S Pen has new tricks. Read more about what you can do with the S Pen on the Note 9 here.
When taking a photo on the Note 9, the camera app will now analyze your picture and let you know if it detects any potential issues with a new feature called Flaw Detection. For example, when taking a group photo, the app will detect if someone blinked and a small alert will pop-up letting you know you should probably take another photo.
Fortnite and gaming
The most popular game on the planet right now, Fortnite, has teamed up with Samsung. Fornite is available for a limited time exclusively to Samsung Galaxy users.
You can download the game from Fornite's website.
Samsung's software feature that transforms a smartphone into a desktop-like experience, DeX, no longer needs a dedicated dock. Instead, a simple HDMI adapter and a monitor is all it takes to use DeX.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Specifications
- Bigger battery
- Bigger display
- Increased base storage
For those who like to geek out on every last specification for a device, here you go:
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 2.35 GHz quad-core
- Display: 6.4 inch, 2960x1440-pixel resolution Super AMOLED (516 ppi)
- Operating system: Android 8.1 Oreo
- Storage: 128GB/512GB internal with microSD expansion card slot
- Memory: 6GB (128GB model) or 8GB (512GB model) LPDDR4
- Rear cameras: 12-megapixel f1.5/f2.4 OIS, and 12-megapixel telephoto f2.4 OIS with 2x optical zoom, 10x digital zoom.
- Front camera: 8-megapixel f/1.7 with autofocus
- Water resistance: IP68
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, 1024QAM, Bluetooth 5.0 BLE, ANT+, GPS/Galileo/Glonass/BeiDou, MST, and NFC
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, and Pressure Sensor Battery: 4,000 milliamp-hour with Quick Charge 2.0 and fast wireless charging
- Size: 161.9 x 76.4 x 8.8-millimeters
- Weight: 201 grams