The death of retail has been greatly exaggerated, but it's undergoing a historic transformation that is dramatically changing, and ultimately improving, the way we shop in brick-and-mortar stores.
Let's do a quick speed round on the four trends that are the most promising, and the most disruptive:
1. Mobilized shopping
You can now walk into a store, find the product you want, then pull out your phone and order it from an app or a mobile site, and maybe even get same-day delivery. This raises the bar for shops to rethink their value proposition.
2. No checkout lines
Amazon Go has built a store where you can skip the checkout line because in-store cameras work with AI to scan your cart and automatically charge your account. This could become the new standard.
3. AR-powered decisions
Augmented reality let's you visualize that piece of furniture in the store in the room where you want to put it in your house. Or, see that outfit you're trying on in a different color, using a smart mirror.
4. Personalized store experiences
Using IoT devices, beacons, and mobile apps, retail stores are now able to recommend and help you find products based on your personal profile, the same way the Amazon home page has for years.
These trends are just the beginning of retail reinventing itself for the digital age. To understand more about this topic, see our special report "Data, AI, and IoT: The Future of Retail." You can read all of the articles on ZDNet or download them in one PDF on TechRepublic, available for free to registered users.
ZDNet's Monday Morning Opener
The Monday Morning Opener is our opening salvo for the week in tech. Since we run a global site, this editorial publishes on Monday at 8:00am AEST in Sydney, Australia, which is 6:00pm Eastern Time on Sunday in the US. It is written by a member of ZDNet's global editorial board, which is comprised of our lead editors across Asia, Australia, Europe, and the US.
PREVIOUSLY ON MONDAY MORNING OPENER:
- Cloud wars 2018: 6 things we learned in the first half
- London's tech startups are booming, but their biggest challenge is just around the corner
- Blockchain: The 2 most important things to understand
- Dissecting ZTE: What it is and what it wants to be
- Windows 10, Android and iOS: Gearing up for the next ecosystem battle
- The future of enterprise IoT: 2 factors to watch
- Digital transformation gut check: Sorry state or natural selection?
- A regulation straitjacket is no less than Facebook and everyone else deserves
- It's time to tame Big Tech: Here's how we get started
- Enterprises learning to love cloud lock-in too: Is it different this time?
- Improve your cybersecurity strategy: Do these 2 things
- Apple's education event has elephant in the room named Google
- The Raspberry Pi is the feel-good tech success that we all need
- Sayonara to the best phone fingerprint sensor in the business
- 3 ways the 'smart office' will change the future of work