In the never ending war between the chip giants, AMD has released a salvo by unveiled what are the world's most powerful desktop processors -- the new 24-core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X and 32-core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X.
Here are the specs for the two processors:
|BOOST/ BASE FREQUENCY (GHZ)||TOTAL CACHE (MB)||TDP (WATTS)||PCIe 4.0 LANES (processor + AMD TRX40)||PRICE|
|AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X||24/48||Up to 4.5/3.8||140||280W||88 (72 useable)||$1,399|
|AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X||32/64||Up to 4.5/3.7||144||280W||88 (72 useable)||$1,999|
These 3rd-generation Ryzen Threadripper Processors are built using AMD's 7-nanometer "Zen 2" core architecture, and both chips feature 88 PCIe 4.0 lanes with extraordinary power efficiency.
On the performanced front, AMD claims that the new 32-core Ryzen Threadripper 3970X offers up to 90 percent faster performance over the competition.
- Up to 90 percent faster performance in Cinebench R20 nT
- Up to 47 percent more performance in Adobe Premiere
- Up to 49 percent more performance in V-Ray
- Up to 43 percent more performance in Chromium Release 78 Compile
- Up to 36 percent more performance in Unreal Engine
This performance doesn't mean the chips are power-hungry either, with AMD claiming they deliver up to 66 percent better power efficiency compared to previous generation processors.
The new chips do, however, need a new socket. The new socket is called sTRX4, which offers expansion for serious multi-GPU and NVMe arrays, quad channel DDR4, ECC support, and unlocked overclocking.
"With our 3rd-generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors, AMD is once again raising the performance bar significantly for creators, developers, and PC enthusiasts," said Saied Moshkelani, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Client Compute. "3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper processors combine leadership performance and energy efficiency to create the ultimate high-end desktop solution. We are extremely excited to expand our leadership high-end desktop processor family and deliver the world's fastest processors."
And you don't have to wait months for these processors to land, as they both will be available starting Tuesday, November 19.
- The world's best power bank: The Zendure SuperTank
- More weird and super useful gadgets (that make great gifts too!)
- iPhone and iPad owners have been in a mad rush to install iOS 13
- Where Google's Pixel 4 and Apple's iPhone 11 fail
- iOS 13: New features you might have missed
- How to dramatically improve your typing speed on an iPad (or make your typing more accurate)
- iOS 13 battery life bad? Top tips to fix battery drain issues
- Must-have productivity apps and accessories for the iPad Pro