Folders are a great way to organize apps in iOS, but using them comes with a downside. And that downside is that it can be hard to know which app is trying to attract your attention using a badge.
If you're an iOS user you know the situation well. An app wants your attention and in addition to regurgitating a notification it also embellishes the app's icon with a badge.
But what if the icon is inside a folder?
Now, unless it's on the front screen, you're going to have to scroll about to find the app that needs your attention. Well, that is, unless you use this trick.
The trick is a simple one. Just use the 3D Touch feature to Force Touch the folder (that is, press down on it hard) until a pop-up menu appears. And this popup will show you which apps need your attention and give you a shortcut to them.
I'm finding this to be a real timesaver, and I'm actually making more use of folders now that I discovered it.
Note: 3D Touch is available on the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max, but not the iPhone XR.
- Apple knows the days of record iPhone sales are over, and wants you to stop obsessing over how many it now sells
- Apple was right, people love expensive iPhones
- The new iPad Pro has a surprise new feature
- Your old $99 Apple Pencil is now junk
- A brief history of Apple iPad models 2010-2018 (Gallery)
- iOS 12 tells you (almost) everything you need to know about your iPhone's battery
- Apple iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR: Features and specs compared
- Meet Apple's iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR: Prices and specs
- Apple tries to wipe AirPower from the history books