Apple's Q4 18 results are out, and the iPhone, services, and "other products" categories all show double-digit percentage growth compared to the year-ago quarter.
Let's start with the iPhone. Unit sales of 46.8 million fall pretty in line with analyst expectations, but while units are up year-on-year has flatlined at zero percent, revenue over the same period is up a whopping 29 percent.
This has driven up the Average Selling Price to $793, up on the previous quarter ASP of $724, up significantly on the year-ago quarter ASP figure of $618.
Moving to the iPad, and while unit sales decreased by 6 percent to 9.7 million year-on-year, revenue dropped a precipitous 15 percent. This bumped the ASP up slightly to $422, from $410 for the previous quarter, but down significantly on the figure of $468 the year-ago quarter.
People are buying cheaper iPads, quite possibly because the more expensive iPad Pros were all over a year old for the duration of the quarter.
It seems that Mac sales have once again risen from the grave, hitting 5.3 million, following a couple of weak quarters. ASP is at $1,389, down from $1,433 for the previous quarter, and up slightly from the ASP of $1,331 for the year-ago quarter.
Apple's revenue from "Other Products," which include AirPods, Apple TV, Apple Watch, Beats products, HomePod, iPod touch and other Apple-branded and third-party accessories, hit $4.23 billion, up 13 percent from the $3.74 billion from the previous quarter, and up a robust 31 percent from the year-ago quarter figure of $3.23 billion.
- The new iPad Pro has a surprise new feature
- Your old $99 Apple Pencil is now junk
- A brief history of Apple iPad models 2010-2018 (Gallery)
- How easy is it to break the new Apple iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max?
- iOS 12 tells you (almost) everything you need to know about your iPhone's battery
- Apple iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR: Features and specs compared
- Meet Apple's iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR: Prices and specs
- Apple tries to wipe AirPower from the history books
- Top 12 Raspberry Pi alternatives (September 2018 edition)