The iPhone XS has landed. It has a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge super-retina OLED display, comes in capacities of 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB, and will be offered in space gray, silver, and gold. It is manufactured from surgical grade stainless steel. The glass is, according to Apple, the most durable glass used on smartphones.
The iPhone XS has improved water resistance, too, now raised to IP68. Its bigger brother, the iPhone XS Max, features a 6.5-inch display, and it too will come with 64GB, 256GB, or 512GB of storage, and will be offered in space gray, silver, and gold.
This is the first time that Apple has offered an iPhone with 512GB of storage.
The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are powered by the A12 Bionic chip, the world's first 7-nanometer chip. It features a 6-core CPU, 4-core GPU, and an 8-core Neural Engine capable of 5 trillion operations per second.
The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max features updated cameras, which leverage not only the A12 Bionic chip but also the Neural Engine.
Both the wide-angle and telephoto rear cameras feature 12-megapixel sensors, with the front camera using a 7-megapixel sensor.
On the battery life front, Apple claims that the iPhone XS offers 30 minutes more battery life than the iPhone X, and the iPhone XS Max bumps this up to an extra 90 minutes of battery life.
Both handsets also support dual-SIM technology. Outside of China, this is in the form of a single physical SIM and an eSIM, while in China the iPhone XS can take two physical SIMs.
The iPhone XR comes with a 6.1-inch edge-to-edge "Liquid Retina" LCD display, capacities of 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB, and will be offered in an array of different colors: Black, white, red, yellow, coral, and blue.
On the camera, it features a single 12-megapixel rear camera. The front camera is the same 7-megapixel camera as found on the iPhone XS and XS Max. This, like the other new iPhones, is powered by the A12 Bionic chip.
The iPhone XR does away with 3D Touch and instead features something Apple calls Haptic Touch. On the battery front, it offers 90 minutes more battery life than the iPhone 8 Plus.
iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR pricing:
- The iPhone XR starts at $749 (64GB), pre-orders start Oct. 19, shipping Oct. 26
- iPhone XS starts at $999 (64GB), pre-orders start Sept. 14, shipping Sept. 21
- iPhone XS Max starts at $1,099 (64GB), pre-orders start Sept. 14, shipping Sept. 21
PREVIOUS AND RELATED COVERAGE:
The new Samsung Galaxy Note 9 was just announced and we expect three new iPhones and two Google Pixel phones to launch soon. Now is the time to consider selling your current one before market prices drop or plan to participate in a trade-in program.
he major smartphone launch season is upon us and one of the first out of the gates is the Samsung Galaxy Note 9, immediately taking over the top spot in our list of best smartphones.
The mostly excellent Galaxy S9's new features aren't quite as good as we'd like, but you'll probably want to buy one anyway.
Best smartphones of 2018 for tech experts TechRepublic
Looking to get a new smartphone? Here are 12 devices with the best features out now.
- How to watch Apple's 2018 iPhone event on September 12
- Apple's iPhone XS: 9 things you need to know before the keynote
- iPhone XS: One thumb up, one thumb down
- The big yawn: These new iPhones will be so boring, I can't wait
- iPhones, iPads, MacBooks: What new hardware will Apple unveil?
- iPhone hope and dread: In its game of phones, what features will Apple kill next?
- Why do people want a new iPhone? This research gives a fascinating clue
- iPhone XS event: Five things to watch for that are not phones
- How Apple Watch saved my life
- iOS 12: Release date, new features, and hidden features CNET
- iPhone XS: A cheat sheet for professionals TechRepublic
MORE FROM THE IPHONE XS EVENT:
- iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR tech specs
- Apple's iPhone XS Max price tops out at $1,449 -- and 8 other keynote takeaways
- One less thing: No new Macs
- iPhone XR? What kind of name is that?
- Apple iPhone XS event: By the numbers
- Apple details new immersive AR experiences coming in ARKit 2
- Apple announces iOS 12 will be available September 17
- iPhone XS: I'm definitely buying Apple's new phone and here's why
- iPhone XS: Here's the one reason I won't buy Apple's new phone
- Apple Watch Series 4 launches, doubles down on digital health and wellness