Nike said it is acquiring Celect, a retail analytics company, to build out its data science skills for its Consumer Direct Offense plan.
Nike's Consumer Direct Offense strategy aims to develop products faster with personalization at scale. Nike also has to focus on selling direct and owning the customer relationship, given the economic challenges in the retail industry.
Eric Sprunk, operating chief at Nike, said that Celect accelerates its digital plan and gives it more data science talent.
Celect has intellectual property in data science and software engineering. Celect's cloud analytics platform enables retailers to optimize inventory across channels. Here's Celect's platform in a nutshell.
According to Nike, Celect's team will be integrated into its global operations team. The co-founders of Celect will remain professors at MIT and consult with Nike.
- Executive's guide to prescriptive analytics
- Research: Tech leaders are eager to implement prescriptive analytics
- Free PDF download: How to win with prescriptive analytics
- Descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics: How are they different?
- Your guide to prescriptive analytics
- A guide for prescriptive analytics: The art and science of choosing and applying the right techniques
- 5 myths about prescriptive analytics