Samsung Electronics said on Thursday it posted 12.35 trillion won in operating profit and almost 67 trillion won in sales for the third quarter.
It is an increase of 58% and 8%, respectively, year-on-year. Samsung said it was the company's highest quarterly sales ever. Operating profit was also its best performance since the third quarter of 2018.
The semiconductor business contributed 5.54 trillion won in operating profit.
Demand for memory was better than expected from mobile, Samsung said, especially from low and mid-end phones while Huawei's inventory buildup has also helped the business.
Meanwhile, demand from servers somewhat weakened in the quarter but PC demand rose.
Samsung's mobile business contributed 4.45 trillion won in operating profit.
Efficient cost management, meanwhile, improved profitability, the South Korean tech giant said.
Samsung's consumer electronics business contributed 1.56 trillion won in operating profit.
Pent-up demand from the easing of lockdown measures from COVID-19 along with the at-home trend saw TV demand surge in the quarter, the company added.
This led to Samsung's display business contributing 470 billion won in operating profit for the quarter, thanks to increased demand from smartphones and TVs.
- Samsung Display gains licence from US to sell OLED to Huawei
- This new OLED material could pack 10,000 pixels per inch in future screens
- Samsung chairman Lee Kun-hee dies at 78
- Best smartwatch: Apple and Samsung battle for a spot on your wrist
- Samsung's new Galaxy A42: This phone brings another 5G mid-range option