Samsung has unveiled its new mid-range Galaxy A80, which has a three rear camera array on a horizontal bar, which automatically slides up and rotates to become a selfie camera.
The achievement of Samsung's novel design is to remove the need for any type of cutout, be it a notch or even Samsung's subtle Infinity-O punch hole in the Galaxy S10.
The camera module includes a 48-megapixel camera, an ultra-wide eight-megapixel camera, and a 3D depth camera. The slide and rotate mechanism doesn't lend itself to facial-recognition unlocking. That task instead is handled by the in-screen fingerprint reader.
The Galaxy A80 features a 6.7-inch Super AMOLED FHD+ display at 1,080 x 2,400 pixels, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 730 processor, 8GB of RAM, and 128GB of in-built storage. There is no microSD card for additional storage.
It also has a 3,700mAh battery with 25W super-fast charging with some smarts that optimize power consumption based on a user's habits and usage patterns.
The Galaxy A80 is available in Phantom Black, Angel Gold, and Ghost White.
The Galaxy A80 is the top member of Samsung's 2019 Galaxy A lineup, seen in this YouTube video, and follows the announcement of the Galaxy A70 featuring an Infinity-O display and three rear cameras arranged vertically.
According to Sammobile, the Galaxy A80 will be available on May 29 for €649 ($730) across Europe. It will also be available in the Middle East, Russia, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, China, and Hong Kong.
Other Galaxy A phones announced in the UK today include the entry level Galaxy A20e and the Galaxy A40. Samsung in February also announced the Galaxy A30 and Galaxy A50.
More on Samsung's Galaxy smartphone range
- Galaxy S10 battery drain: Bug keeps waking $1,000 phone in people's pockets
- Galaxy S10 Plus dual selfie camera earns Samsung top spot in photo benchmarking
- Galaxy S10 first look: All the models and colors up close
- Galaxy Fold: A $2,000 smartphone becomes a reality, but is it worth the money?
- Those Galaxy S10 prices: Why expensive smartphone upgrades without 5G are just plain dumb
- Galaxy Fold: I want the specs, but no clue what to do with a $1,980 foldable phone
- Samsung Galaxy Fold, S10, S10 Plus and S10e: A cheat sheet TechRepublic
- New Galaxy S10 phones bring it: 4 rear cameras, 1TB of storage, in-screen fingerprint scanner and 5G CNET