VMware on Wednesday launched its VMware View software for Apple's iPad as it plays catch-up to tablet virtualization movers Citrix and Wyse.
The software, available on Apple's App Store, gives iPad users access to Windows desktops, applications and data via virtualization.
With the move, VMware gets into the iPad virtualization client game. Citrix was an early mover with its Receiver app and has an Apple's iOS hit. Citrix's Receiver is also on other platforms and will cover most tablets hitting the market ranging from Android devices to BlackBerry's upcoming Playbook. Wyse also has its PocketCloud app for the iPad, iPhone and Android platforms so users can access their desktops.
Ironically, both Wyse supported VMware View on the iPad before VMware did. Simply put, VMware is playing from behind in the tablet game, but with a large installed base VMware View for the iPad should see a lot of downloads.
VMware View for the iPad includes the following features:
- Access to Windows virtual desktops via PC-over-IP display protocol.
- Multitouch support and on-screen track pad so users can use a traditional mouse set-up.
- Instant-on Windows desktops.
- Support for iPad Keyboard Dock and Bluetooth keyboards.
- Citrix's Labana: Enterprise tablet apps a jump ball between Apple, Android (and yes Microsoft)
- Wyse steps up support for tablets, bolsters PocketCloud software
- Citrix's Receiver iPad upgrade will give legacy enterprise apps more life