Apple's cheapest iPhone currently on sale is the 32GB iPhone 7, which retails for $449. While this seems like a reasonable deal -- especially when you consider that Apple's most premium iPhone tops out at a whopping $1,449 -- it's a lot of money for old hardware. What Apple needs is a budget iPhone designed from the ground-up to be cheap yet functional.
We need is an updated version of the iPhone SE, which was Apple's original answer to cries for a cheaper iPhone. And there are rumors circulating to suggest that Apple has an updated version of the petite iPhone SE in the works.
Must read: Apple has let down every iPhone user
The original iPhone SE dates back to the spring of 2016, and the hardware retailed for $399 for 16GB of storage. That was back when Apple could get away with asking for $400 for a phone with such a dismal amount of storage.
It's 2019 now, and times have changed, and that's a good thing for consumers because Apple will need to work harder to make the sale.
Also, $400 is now a lot of money for a budget smartphone, and if Apple wants to combat falling sales it would make sense to slash this starting price down to a more reasonable $299.
Here's what I'd expect the tech spec to look like:
- 4-inch LED display (likely the same display found on the latest 7th-generation iPod touch)
- 32GB to 128GB of storage
- 2GB RAM
- Wireless charging
- A10 Fusion chip (found on the latest 7th-generation iPod touch)
- Touch ID (because Face ID tech would add too much to the price)
- 12-megapixel rear-facing camera
- 7-megapixel front-facing camera
- Headphone jack
Essentially, a 7th-generation iPod touch, with cellular capability.
Do you think Apple needs a cheaper iPhone? Would Apple go as low as $299? Let me know below!
- Forget the smartphone and get yourself a satellite phone that will work anywhere on the planet
- A credit card never needed cleaning instructions... then Apple came along
- iPhone 11, 11R and 11 Max: Tech specs, features and prices
- How to speed up your old Windows 10 PC or Mac
- How to get the longest life out of your battery (and help prevent it from bursting into flames)
- Poor battery life after installing iOS 12.4? Try this