The time has come for Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, along with a raft of other top executives, to take to the stage at the Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino, Calif., to unveil the next iPhone. At the event we got a raft of facts and figures about Apple and how its hardware and software ecosystem is doing.
Also: The best ways to sell or trade in your iPhone CNET
Apple iPhone XS event: By the numbers
- 500 million Apple Store visitors per year
- Apple is about to ship its 2 billionth iOS device
- Apple Watch is now the #1 watch, not just #1 smartwatch
- Apple WatchSeries 4 feature displays that are more than 30 percent larger than the corresponding Series 3 Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Series 4 speaker is 50 percent louder
- Apple WatchSeries 4 S4 chip is two time faster than its predecessor, and features a new accelerometer that has twice the dynamic range and can measure up to 32-g with eight times the sample range and can even detect a fall
- Apple Watch Series 4 has three new heart features -- low heart rate, irregular heartrate, and a built in ECG feature
iPhone XS/iPhone XS Max/iPhone XR: Here's everything you need to know (in pictures)
- Apple Watch Series 4 has an 18-hour "all-day battery" (same as its predecessor)
- Apple Watch Series 4 GPS starts at $399, with the cellular version starting at $499, and the Series 3 seeing a price drop down to starting at $279
- iPhone is the #1 smartphone in the world, with an 98 percent customer satisfaction
- The new Apple A12 Bionic chip is the world's first 7-nanometer chip
- The A12 Bionic has a 6-core CPU, 4-core GPU, and an 8-core Neural Engine capable of 5 trillion operations per second.
- Apple sticks with 12-megapixel rear camera sensors and 7-megapixel front-sensors for its line up
- Battery life sees an uptick, with Apple claiming that the iPhone XS offers 30 minutes more battery life than the iPhone X, and the iPhone XS Max bumps this up to an extra 90 minutes of battery life
- The iPhone XR offers 90 minutes more battery life than the iPhone 8 Plus.
- The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max both come with an option for 512GB of storage, the first time Apple has offered this on an iPhone
- The iPhone XR will be offered in six colors: black, white, red, yellow, coral and blue
- The iPhone XR starts at $749 (64GB), pre-orders start Oct. 19, shipping Oct. 26
- iPhone XS starts at $999 (64GB), pre-orders start Sept. 14, shipping Sept. 21
- iPhone XS Max starts at $1,099 (64GB), pre-orders start Sept. 14, shipping Sept. 21
iPhone 2018 first look: Apple's launch event scene by scene (pictures)
PREVIOUS AND RELATED COVERAGE:
Want a new iPhone or Android smartphone? Here's how to sell or trade
The new Samsung Galaxy Note 9 was just announced and we expect three new iPhones and two Google Pixel phones to launch soon. Now is the time to consider selling your current one before market prices drop or plan to participate in a trade-in program.
10 best smartphones of 2018
he major smartphone launch season is upon us and one of the first out of the gates is the Samsung Galaxy Note 9, immediately taking over the top spot in our list of best smartphones.
Best smartphones for 2018 CNET
The mostly excellent Galaxy S9's new features aren't quite as good as we'd like, but you'll probably want to buy one anyway.
Best smartphones of 2018 for tech experts TechRepublic
Looking to get a new smartphone? Here are 12 devices with the best features out now.
MORE FROM THE IPHONE XS EVENT: