Amazon Web Services on Tuesday announced new EC2 cloud instances featuring AMD EPYC processors, pitching them as lower cost options for customers looking to cut down on compute spending in certain workloads.
The cloud giant said the new M5 and T3 general purpose instances and R5 memory optimized instances are 10 percent less expensive than the current M5, T3, and R5 instances. The environments are geared toward workloads that don't use up all of the available compute power in their current instances, the company said.
"From the start, AWS has focused on choice and economy," said AWS chief evangelist Jeff Barr, in a blog post. "We have reduced prices 67 times so far, and work non-stop to drive down costs and to make AWS an increasingly better value over time."
Barr also said the company is working on lower cost T3a instances.
Black Friday 2018 deals:
- Black Friday 2018 and Cyber Monday 2018: When and where to get the best deals
- Walmart Black Friday ad features $99 Chromebook, $89 Windows 2-in-1 laptop
- BJs Wholesale Black Friday ad leaks with laptop, desktop, tablet deals
- Target Black Friday ad includes $250 iPad mini 4, $120 Chromebook deals
- Costco kicks off Black Friday ad leaks season with $250 iPad, pair of $200 laptops
- Amazon Black Friday 2018: See early deals on Echo, Fire HD, and more
- Dell Black Friday ad features $120 Inspiron laptop, $500 gaming desktop
PREVIOUS AND RELATED COVERAGE:
Now that the services used by an enterprise and provided to its customers may be hosted on servers in the public cloud or on-premises, maybe "hybrid cloud" isn't an architecture any more. While that may the case, that's not stopping some in the digital transformation business from proclaiming it a way of work unto itself.
Application spending has moved to the cloud fastest, but other areas of IT spending are catching up.
Salesforce's growth for the years ahead are pegged to multi-cloud customers as well as add ons to core services. Here's a look at the core figures.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/supercomputing-and-ai-meets-the-cloud/Ireland is getting a new supercomputer; Penguin Computing CEO Tom Coull on how supercomputing is taking on some big computing challenges.
- What's the best cloud storage for you?
- https://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-the-best-cloud-storage-for-you/Top cloud providers 2018: How AWS, Microsoft, Google
- https://www.zdnet.com/article/cloud-providers-ranking-2018-how-aws-microsoft-google-cloud-platform-ibm-cloud-oracle-alibaba-stack/Everything you need to know about the cloud, explained
- XaaS: Why 'everything' is now a service
- Infographic: Why companies are switching to Everything as a Service
- Free PDF download: The Future of Everything as a Service
- SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS: Understand the differences
- Cloud computing: How to make the move without losing control
- Amazon cloud lead shrinks as Microsoft Azure growth explodes TechRepublic