Intuit had a strong first quarter as it continues to grow revenue from its online ecosystem. The personal and small business financial software maker reported a Q1 net loss of $10 million million, or 13 cents per share, compared to a loss of $35 million a year ago.
Non-GAAP earnings were 29 cents per share on top of revenue of $1 billion, up 12 percent year over year.
Wall Street was expecting earnings of 11 cents per share with $968.88 million in revenue. Intuit's shares were up around 6 percent after hours.
Intuit said it expects Q2 EPS ranging from a 85 cents a share to 88 cents a share, which falls well above analyst estimates for 77 cents a share. Revenue is expected to range from $1.47 billion to $1.49 billion, above current estimates of $1.45 billion.
As for the rest of Intuit's portfolio, the company said it increased QuickBooks Online subscribers by 41 percent to end the quarter with 3.6 million paid subscribers. Intuit's QuickBooks Self-Employed product also saw subscriber growth on the up, ending the quarter with 745,000 users. Intuit said sales from its consumer tax products grew 22 percent.
"Small Business and Self-Employed Group delivered another strong quarter and we expect momentum to continue as we place an increased emphasis on online services to deliver greater value to our customers," said Intuit chief executive Brad Smith While this is great start to the year, there's plenty of game to be played, with our two largest quarters ahead of us."
Best Black Friday 2018 deals:
- Amazon Seven Days of Black Friday Deals: All-time lows on office devices
- Amazon Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Echo, Fire HD
- Best Buy Black Friday 2018 deals: Deep discounts on Apple Mac, Microsoft Surface
- Costco Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad, $200 laptops
- Staples Black Friday 2018 deals: PC sales include $150 Chromebook
- Target Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad mini 4, $120 Chromebook
- BJs Black Friday 2018 deals: Laptop, desktop, and tablet sales galore
- Walmart Black Friday 2018 deals: $99 Chromebook, $89 Windows 2-in-1
- Dell Black Friday 2018 deals: $120 Inspiron laptop, $500 gaming desktop
- Jet Black Friday 2018 deals: $195 Roomba, $70 off Nest Cam Indoor
- Newegg Black Friday 2018 deals: $50 off Moto G6, $70 off Nest thermostat
- Office Depot Black Friday 2018 deals: $300 off Lenovo Flex, $129 HP Chromebook
- Sam's Club Black Friday 2018 deals: Buy a 4K TV and get a free Xbox One S
- eBay Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Galaxy Watch, Chromecast
- Lenovo Black Friday 2018 deals: ThinkPad laptops and more
- Microsoft Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Ad showcases Surface, laptop deals
- Google Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Home Hub, Pixel 3, and Pixelbook
- HP Black Friday 2018 deals: Pavilion laptops, desktops
- Windows laptops Black Friday deals: Dell, HP, Lenovo
- Chromebook Black Friday 2018 deals: Dell, Google, HP
- Best tablet Black Friday deals: Apple iPad, Amazon Fire
- Black Friday 2018 iPhone deals: $400 iPhone X gift card, BOGO iPhone XR
- Black Friday 2018 smartphone deals: OnePlus 6T, LG G7