Starting Wednesday, Google will begin slowly releasing an update to the Google Camera app for all three generations of the company's Pixel smartphones.
The update adds a Night Sight shooting mode. The mode was first teased during Google's October event -- when the company compared a photo captured outside and in the dark taken by an iPhone XS and another taken by a Pixel 3 using Night Sight mode.
The iPhone XS photo was dimly lit and showed very little detail in the foreground. The Night Sight photo, however, was evenly lit, and you could clearly see the people in the foreground without losing any detail.
But that's all we really saw from Google's new low light camera feature. The question remained: Was it really that good?
Google provided a handful of outlets access to the official Google Camera update prior to today's rollout, and looking through the sample images, I'd have to say that Night Sight is impressive. Look at the sample images from CNET, Android Central, and 9to5Google.
Prior to its official release, I installed and used an unofficial version of Night Sight and was impressed with the results, but I will hold any personal thoughts until I've had a chance to test out the feature myself.
The process of capturing a Night Sight photo requires the user to switch to Night Sight mode, and then hold the camera still for a variable amount of time (a few seconds) while the camera captures the photo.
Pixel users should look for an app update to Google Camera in the Play Store over the next few days. Once the app is updated, you can access Night Sight in the Camera app in the "More" section, where shooting modes like Photo Sphere Slow Motion, or Lens are found.
Previous and related coverage:
Android through Google's lens has gotten really good, really fast.
In a world of massive smartphones, there are still a few that comfortably fit in your hand and pocket. The Google Pixel 3 is the best small Android smartphone, but it's not quite perfect.
Some Pixel 3 XL devices are gaining a second, unwanted notch on the side of the screen.
Google revealed the Pixel 3 XL yesterday and while it is the best from Google, the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 offers more for the enterprise.
Is it the camera? Is it security? No, it's something much more fundamental than that.
Best Black Friday 2018 deals:
- Amazon Seven Days of Black Friday Deals: All-time lows on office devices
- Amazon Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Echo, Fire HD
- Best Buy Black Friday 2018 deals: Deep discounts on Apple Mac, Microsoft Surface
- Target Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad mini 4, $120 Chromebook
- Walmart Black Friday 2018 deals: $99 Chromebook, $89 Windows 2-in-1
- Dell Black Friday 2018 deals: $120 Inspiron laptop, $500 gaming desktop
- Newegg Black Friday 2018 deals: $50 off Moto G6, $70 off Nest thermostat
- Office Depot Black Friday 2018 deals: $300 off Lenovo Flex, $129 HP Chromebook
- eBay Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Galaxy Watch, Chromecast
- Lenovo Black Friday 2018 deals: ThinkPad laptops and more
- Microsoft Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Ad showcases Surface, laptop deals
- Windows laptops Black Friday deals: Dell, HP, Lenovo
- Chromebook Black Friday 2018 deals: Dell, Google, HP
- Best tablet Black Friday deals: Apple iPad, Amazon Fire
- Black Friday 2018 iPhone deals: $400 iPhone X gift card, BOGO iPhone XR
- Black Friday 2018 smartphone deals: OnePlus 6T, LG G7