Apple unveiled its latest Apple Watch lineup with a continued bet on health and with a focus on fitness and being "an intelligent guardian of your health." How big of a bet? Apple added the ability to offer an ECG, or electrocardiogram, direct to consumers at any time.
Apple Watch Series 4: Redesigned and reengineered
The biggest takeaway is that Apple Watch is now a fashionable medical device, and that'll open up the enterprise wellness market as well as healthcare system.
The screens are more than 30 percent larger on the Apple Watch with similar bezels. Sure, Apple Watch will have more with Maps and Photos, but the new watch is focused on health and other customizations such as adding loved ones to a screen.
"We've also designed a brand new watch face with up to eight complications that really brings them to life. You can customize it with the things you care about," said Williams.
For instance, Apple Watch Series 4 will have three variations of its breath app on the watch face. It can also identify a fall and analyze the data. In other words, Apple Watch will have more appeal to companies that specialize in the aging in place market.
Apple's iPhone event is its biggest annual event -- where it outlines the roadmap that is expected to keep a massive profit and revenue engine running as the company develops more services.
CEO Tim Cook touted the Apple Watch and its place in the standings. Apple Watch is not only the No. 1 smartwatch, but the No. 1 watch, period. "For millions of people around the world, Apple Watch has helped them to stay connected, be more active and live a healthier day," he said.
Apple Watch Series 4: Apple aims to be part of health care system
As Apple walked through the health features added to the Apple Watch, it was clear that the company sees consumer-driven healthcare as a key market. The presentation came complete with Ivor Benjamin, MD, who is head of the American Heart Association.
"Products to seek to provide deeper health insights like the Apple Watch Series 4 offer great potential" in bolstering healthcare, said Benjamin. Meanwhile, the Apple Watch has received FDA clearance to be used as a health device for its ability to detect irregular heart rhythm alerts.
Simply put, Apple Watch is a medical device. Apple can use those clearances to be used in HR enterprise wellness programs and throughout hospitals and healthcare.
Apple Watch Series 4: Key features and specs
Apple Watch Series 4 has a bevy of advances beyond healthcare -- beginning with a larger display that enables more complications, informative displays, and easier to read fonts.
- Apple Watch Series 4 has two sizes: 40mm and 44mm.
- Digital Crown has haptic feedback.
- The back of Apple Watch Series 4 is composed of black ceramic and sapphire crystal.
- The device has a next-gen S4 chip with a custom 64-bit dual-core processor.
- The electrodes in the back and digital crown detect heart rate, route to S4 chip (entire process takes just 30 seconds).
- ECG can be diagnosed by touching the digital crown after opening the app.
- Apple Watch can know if your heart rate is too low and detect heart rhythm.
- There's a fall detection sensor and the ability to call emergency services.
- Fall detection is enabled by a next-generation accelerometer and gyroscope, which measures up to 32 g-forces.
- The speaker is 50 percent louder, optimized for phone calls, has Siri and Walkie-Talkie.
- Apple Watch's microphone has been relocated for sound quality.
Apple Watch Series 4: Pricing and release date
Apple Watch Series 4 is available Sept. 21, with preorders starting Sept. 14. The device will be available in 26 markets for GPS and 16 markets for cellular with 34 carriers. As for pricing, Apple Watch Series 4 with GPS starts at $399 or $499 with cellular.
Also: Apple's Sep 12 event: What the pros expect TechRepublic
The Series 3 will now be $279. WatchOS 5 will be available from Sept. 17.
PREVIOUS AND RELATED COVERAGE:
Apple's enterprise footprint, approach to privacy and partnerships will give it an edge with Health Records, a feature in iOS 11.3 to position the company in medical health records.
At its Unpacked event, Samsung insisted it wants everything to work together now. Does that remind you of anyone?
The new communication features come in the form of a new Walkie-Talkie mode that works over cellular and WiFi, along with more interactive notifications.
The global wearables market grew by 1.2 percent for Q1 2018, lower than the 18 percent year-on-year growth registered a year ago, as consumers opt for smarter wearable devices.
A collaboration between Cupertino and Stanford University's medical school is aiming to conduct what could be the biggest research study into atrial fibrillation.
The way healthcare data is gathered, shared, and understood could all be set for a sea-change if Apple becomes consumers' and providers' med-tech supplier of choice.
The study was conducted by health startup Cardiogram and UCSF and followed more than 6,000 subjects.
- How to watch Apple's 2018 iPhone event on September 12
- Apple's iPhone XS: 9 things you need to know before the keynote
- iPhone XS: One thumb up, one thumb down
- The big yawn: These new iPhones will be so boring, I can't wait
- iPhones, iPads, MacBooks: What new hardware will Apple unveil?
- iPhone hope and dread: In its game of phones, what features will Apple kill next?
- Why do people want a new iPhone? This research gives a fascinating clue
- iPhone XS event: Five things to watch for that are not phones
- How Apple Watch saved my life
- iOS 12: Release date, new features, and hidden features CNET
- iPhone XS: A cheat sheet for professionals TechRepublic
MORE FROM THE IPHONE XS EVENT:
- iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR tech specs
- Apple's iPhone XS Max price tops out at $1,449 -- and 8 other keynote takeaways
- One less thing: No new Macs
- iPhone XR? What kind of name is that?
- Apple iPhone XS event: By the numbers
- Apple details new immersive AR experiences coming in ARKit 2
- iPhone XS: I'm definitely buying Apple's new phone and here's why
- iPhone XS: Here's the one reason I won't buy Apple's new phone
- Apple Watch Series 4 launches, doubles down on digital health and wellnes