Pure Storage is launching its software on Amazon Web Services with block storage, data protection and deduplication services in the public cloud. The aim for Pure Storage is to better bridge on-premises and cloud infrastructure.
The move highlights a few key trends in the enterprise space. First, hybrid architecture is becoming the new norm as companies aim to run applications in the cloud and data center interchangeably. In addition, data and storage players are positioning to handle more real-time workloads such as artificial intelligence, machine learning and analytics with solid-state storage. And storage is becoming more software defined.
Matt Kixmoeller, vice president of strategy at Pure, said the AWS effort is "the first time we've made our software consumable outside of hardware." Pure is starting on AWS for mission critical applications and will look at adding other public clouds over time. "We are taking the time to do it right," said Kixmoeller.
Pure's effort--a suite of products called Pure Storage Cloud Data Services--reflects how enterprises went cloud first, then swung back to their own infrastructure and are moving apps to Kubernetes and containers. Kixmoeller noted that "hybrid isn't an infrastructure as much as an application strategy."
The rationale is that enterprises have evolved their cloud strategies from on-premises deployments to the cloud and ultimately applications that can run anywhere. Cloud first companies have moved some infrastructure on-premises but have arrived at the same hybrid application space.
At a high level, here's a look at where Pure is looking to mix and match its software platform on AWS and in the data center.
In many ways, Pure's effort is aided by the AWS and VMware partnership on hybrid infrastructure. Pure runs on top of VMware in on-premise storage and adding AWS is more of a natural fit. Pure1 cloud data management and Purity storage software will now run on AWS. In Pure Storage's case, AWS is the equivalent of running its software an different hardware than its own.
Here's what Pure Storage is rolling out:
Cloud Block Store for AWS, a block storage systems that uses Pure's software to run natively on Amazon's public cloud. Cloud Block Store for AWS is in limited beta.
CloudSnap for AWS, a data protection service built into Pure FlashArray. Under the systems, FlashArray snapshots are sent to AWS S3 storage. CloudSnap is generally available and addresses disaster recovery use cases where tape is still used.
StorReduce, a deduplication technology recently acquired will back up to AWS S3.
Separately, Pure Storage reported its fiscal third quarter earnings. The company reported a third quarter net loss of $28.2 million, or 12 cents a share, on revenue of $372.8 million, up 34 percent from a year ago. The company's non-GAAP earnings were 13 cents a share.
Wall Street was looking for third quarter non-GAAP earnings of 9 cents a share on revenue of $367.4 million.
The company increased gross margins to 66.8 percent, up from 65.5 percent a year ago.
As for the outlook, Pure projected fourth quarter revenue between $438 million and $446 million. For fiscal 2019, Pure projected revenue between $1.376 billion and $1.384 billion.
Best Black Friday 2018 deals:
- Amazon Seven Days of Black Friday Deals: All-time lows on office devices
- Amazon Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Echo, Fire HD
- Buy Black Friday 2018 deals: Deep discounts on Apple Mac, Microsoft Surface
- Costco Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad, $200 laptops
- Staples Black Friday 2018 deals: PC sales include $150 Chromebook
- Target Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad mini 4, $120 Chromebook
- BJs Black Friday 2018 deals: Laptop, desktop, and tablet sales galore
- Walmart Black Friday 2018 deals: $99 Chromebook, $89 Windows 2-in-1
- Dell Black Friday 2018 deals: $120 Inspiron laptop, $500 gaming desktop
- Jet Black Friday 2018 deals: $195 Roomba, $70 off Nest Cam Indoor
- Newegg Black Friday 2018 deals: $50 off Moto G6, $70 off Nest thermostat
- Office Depot Black Friday 2018 deals: $300 off Lenovo Flex, $129 HP Chromebook
- Sam's Club Black Friday 2018 deals: Buy a 4K TV and get a free Xbox One S
- eBay Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Galaxy Watch, Chromecast
- Lenovo Black Friday 2018 deals: ThinkPad laptops and more
- Microsoft Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Ad showcases Surface, laptop deals
- Google Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Home Hub, Pixel 3, and Pixelbook
- HP Black Friday 2018 deals: Pavilion laptops, desktops
- Windows laptops Black Friday deals: Dell, HP, Lenovo
- Chromebook Black Friday 2018 deals: Dell, Google, HP
- Best tablet Black Friday deals: Apple iPad, Amazon Fire
- Black Friday 2018 iPhone deals: $400 iPhone X gift card, BOGO iPhone XR
- Black Friday 2018 smartphone deals: OnePlus 6T, LG G7